[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?
Mariam Hakobyan
2013-06-20 10:14:11 UTC
Mariam Hakobyan [https://community.jboss.org/people/mariamhakobyan] created the discussion

"Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824054#824054

I am concerned which jBPM version and implementation to use, which one is supported?

I have a switchyard application, which has switchyard-bpmn component dependency, wich uses Kie implementation (e.g. KnowledgeBase, KieSession)
<dependency>
                <groupId>org.switchyard.components</groupId>
                <artifactId>switchyard-component-bpm</artifactId>
                <version>0.8.0.Final</version>
</dependency>

and this brings jbpm dependencies of 6.0.0.Alpha version.

And in order to unit testing of the bpmn process only, I see there is org.jbpm.test.JbpmJUnitTestCase, which uses drools-jbpm implementation (e.g. org.drools.runtime.StatefulKnowledgeSession) and not the Kie.

So I am not sure which implementation I should use for jBPM, Kie or Drools, and which version? Please advice..

Thanks in advance!
Mariam

Mauricio Salatino
2013-06-20 10:27:27 UTC
Mauricio Salatino [https://community.jboss.org/people/salaboy21] created the discussion

"Re: Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824059#824059

Hi Miriam
If you are planning to use the jbpm 6 version you should use all the Kie* classes.
I guess that switchard will stick with that so I strongly suggest you to use those classes. I know that version 6 has also backward compatibility but I would suggest you to migrate your tests to use Kie* classes.

Mariam Hakobyan
2013-06-20 10:38:26 UTC
Mariam Hakobyan [https://community.jboss.org/people/mariamhakobyan] created the discussion

"Re: Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824063#824063

Hi Mauricio,

Thanks for the quick answer. I am going to use the version that switchyard supports, which means version 6.

And for the unit testing what would you advice to use - org.jbpm.test.JbpmJUnitTestCase OR org.jbpm.bpmn2.JbpmBpmn2TestCase? Which one is the base unit test class for Kie* classes?

Thanks,
Mariam

Mauricio Salatino
2013-06-20 10:41:23 UTC
Mauricio Salatino [https://community.jboss.org/people/salaboy21] created the discussion

"Re: Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824066#824066

Hi Miriam,
Notice that in master (6.0.0-SNAPSHOT and 6.0.0-Beta3 and Beta4) the JbpmUnitTestCase class was already updated to use Kie -> https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm/blob/master/jbpm-test/src/main/java/org/jbpm/test/JbpmJUnitTestCase.java https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm/blob/master/jbpm-test/src/main/java/org/jbpm/test/JbpmJUnitTestCase.java

Cheers

Mariam Hakobyan
2013-06-20 10:59:29 UTC
Mariam Hakobyan [https://community.jboss.org/people/mariamhakobyan] created the discussion

"Re: Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824070#824070

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Mariam

Mariam Hakobyan
2013-06-20 13:00:15 UTC
Mariam Hakobyan [https://community.jboss.org/people/mariamhakobyan] created the discussion

"Re: Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824092#824092

Hi Mauricio,

One more question here: I see that in your mentioned project https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm, the org.jbpm.bpmn2.JbpmBpmn2TestCase is still there. What is it intended for?
You said for the tests we need to use the new org.jbpm.test.JbpmJUnitTestCase , which is using all Kie* classes, but I also see many tests extending org.jbpm.bpmn2.JbpmBpmn2TestCase.

Thanks,
Mariam

Mauricio Salatino
2013-06-20 13:15:19 UTC
Mauricio Salatino [https://community.jboss.org/people/salaboy21] created the discussion

"Re: Drools jBPM vs jBPM Kie?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824096#824096

The JbpmBpmn2TestCase is just the base test for all the tests related with testing the BPMN2 conformance. It contains some utility methods for testing bpmn files. It's not something intended for end users, it's just there to help with the internal tests.

Cheers