[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Question regarding jbpm 5.4 schema
roxy1987
2013-01-10 16:11:54 UTC
roxy1987 [https://community.jboss.org/people/roxy1987] created the discussion

"Question regarding jbpm 5.4 schema"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/790145#790145

Is there a relation between NodeInstanceLog and Task tables?

I need task related information. These tables combined give me everything I need but I cant join them because I dont see a foriegn key.

Jiri Svitak
2013-01-11 15:51:10 UTC
Jiri Svitak [https://community.jboss.org/people/jsvitak] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding jbpm 5.4 schema"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/790456#790456

It's recommended to use different database schemas for process runtime and logging due to performance reasons. Because of this the schemas are separated. Of course you can use single database for non-production purposes, but to use the relation that you describe, you need to add foreign key manually.

roxy1987
2013-01-11 15:59:15 UTC
roxy1987 [https://community.jboss.org/people/roxy1987] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding jbpm 5.4 schema"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/790459#790459

Thanks Jiri.
I was looking to query the database to get some task related information. But anyway I achieved that using TaskClient.
Still if we need a foreign key, we can add one manually, but is this recommended? I mean in a scenario where nothing is going your way and joining two tables is only thing you have left. Will this affect may be some thing in some way?
Or is it just that if you need it you can create one. No issues at all?

Jiri Svitak
2013-01-11 16:13:06 UTC
Jiri Svitak [https://community.jboss.org/people/jsvitak] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding jbpm 5.4 schema"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/790465#790465

As explained before the main reason is to be possible to separate logging database schema and runtime database schema. If each would be tied together using foreign keys, it would not be possible to split them easily. My opinion is that sometimes it's necessary to update database schema manually. For example some databases don't create indexes by default, you need to add them manually, if you need them. You have to try it in your scenario if foreign key adding won't damage anything. I think that it should not. FYI I am not a jBPM developer, so I cannot guarantee that :)

roxy1987
2013-01-11 16:18:31 UTC
roxy1987 [https://community.jboss.org/people/roxy1987] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding jbpm 5.4 schema"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/790468#790468

No Problem. Thanks man.