[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
Steve Guthrie
2013-05-03 14:03:57 UTC
Steve Guthrie [https://community.jboss.org/people/girevik] created the discussion

"java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/811432#811432

Hello all,

I'm new to trying to run JBoss localy, so pleaes forgive me if I don't provide enough information (or too much).

We have some web services that we are currently running on a JBoss server that I'm trying to run locally for debug purposes.  I can run the services okay when I execute them as a Junit test, but when I try to run them on a my JBoss 5.1 server within Eclipse I get the below error.  If I try to run it a 2nd time I get a different error; a class not found on that same DFClient class (but have verified that the jar it's in is getting deployed).  This has got me running in circles.  Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at com.documentum.fc.client.DfClient.<clinit>(DfClient.java:700)
at com.documentum.com.DfClientX.getLocalClient(DfClientX.java:43)
at com.aep.dctm.webservices.beans.DocumentumLogin.getSessionMgr(DocumentumLogin.java:177)
at com.aep.dctm.webservices.beans.DocumentumLogin.getSession(DocumentumLogin.java:139)
at com.aep.dctm.webservices.beans.search.Search.doDocumentumSearch(Search.java:88)
at com.aep.dctm.webservices.search.SearchServiceImpl.getSearchResult(SearchServiceImpl.java:56)
at org.jboss.wsf.container.jboss50.invocation.InvocationHandlerJSE.invoke(InvocationHandlerJSE.java:108)
at org.jboss.ws.core.server.ServiceEndpointInvoker.invoke(ServiceEndpointInvoker.java:222)
... 26 more
at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source)
at com.documentum.fc.common.impl.preferences.PreferencesManager.readPersistentProperties(PreferencesManager.java:321)
at com.documentum.fc.common.impl.preferences.PreferencesManager.<init>(PreferencesManager.java:37)
at com.documentum.fc.common.DfPreferences.initialize(DfPreferences.java:79)
at com.documentum.fc.common.DfPreferences.getInstance(DfPreferences.java:58)
at com.documentum.fc.impl.RuntimeContext.<clinit>(RuntimeContext.java:177)
... 38 more

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]
Peter Johnson
2013-05-03 14:51:09 UTC
Steve Guthrie
2013-05-03 16:06:14 UTC
Steve Guthrie [https://community.jboss.org/people/girevik] created the discussion

"Re: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/811463#811463

No, the prefrences manager is not part of my code which is what's making this so hard to figure out.  It's part of the verdor "under the covers" code.  I think I know what it would be trying to access based on what it's doing at that stage, but I've confirmed that file is in my war as well.  I was hoping someone could point me to a deployment or startup issue.

Upon closer relefection, I am getting an error that I hadn't paid much attention to before because I thought it was on server startup rather than when the code got executed.  The top part of the stack trace looks like this:

12:02:40,634 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR A "org.jboss.logging.appender.FileAppender" object is not assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.
12:02:40,634 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by
12:02:40,634 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR [***@7d58ae{vfszip:/C:/Jboss/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/default/deploy/dctmwebservices.war/}] whereas object of type
12:02:40,634 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR "org.jboss.logging.appender.FileAppender" was loaded by [***@9ed927].
12:02:40,634 ERROR [STDERR] log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "FILE".
12:02:41,337 ERROR [SOAPFaultHelperJAXWS] SOAP request exception
java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
at org.jboss.ws.core.server.ServiceEndpointInvoker.invoke(ServiceEndpointInvoker.java:228)
at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.RequestHandlerImpl.processRequest(RequestHandlerImpl.java:474)
at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.RequestHandlerImpl.handleRequest(RequestHandlerImpl.java:295)
at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.RequestHandlerImpl.doPost(RequestHandlerImpl.java:205)
at org.jboss.wsf.stack.jbws.RequestHandlerImpl.handleHttpRequest(RequestHandlerImpl.java:131)
at org.jboss.wsf.common.servlet.AbstractEndpointServlet.service(AbstractEndpointServlet.java:85)

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]