[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - JBoss 7.1.1 AS - where to install jdbc driver?
Carey Brown
2012-04-20 14:44:40 UTC
Carey Brown [https://community.jboss.org/people/carey.brown] created the discussion

"JBoss 7.1.1 AS - where to install jdbc driver?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/731363#731363

I'm new to JBoss and I started with some of the examples in "jboss at work". I was doing ok until I tried to connect to a Sybase database. I have their jconn4.jar driver file but I can't find the place where I should install it.
I tried:
<HOME>/server/default/standalone/lib
and
<HOME>/standalone/configuration/lib
and
<HOME>/standalone/lib
None of the above worked, am I looking in the correct place?
Should this be a part of my project's ear or war file instead?
At this point I haven't gone with the data-source route and I'm making direct jdbc calls.
I'm on a Windows XP box.
Thanks,
Carey

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]
Francisco Palma
2012-04-20 15:34:27 UTC
Francisco Palma [https://community.jboss.org/people/fpalma] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss 7.1.1 AS - where to install jdbc driver?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/731373#731373

To install the datasource for MySql I have installed the jar in the folder "C:\jboss-as-7.1.0.Final\modules\com\mysql\main". Sure the directory is the same "C:\jboss-as-7.1.0.Final\modules\com"
I consulted this website: http://marceloagustini.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/agregar-mysql-datasource-jboss-7-x/ http://marceloagustini.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/agregar-mysql-datasource-jboss-7-x/

Fran

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]
Carey Brown
2012-04-20 15:47:40 UTC
Carey Brown [https://community.jboss.org/people/carey.brown] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss 7.1.1 AS - where to install jdbc driver?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/731376#731376

Thanks for the reply. At this point I'm not using data-sources so this doesn't seem to apply.

Wolf-Dieter Fink
2012-04-20 16:44:58 UTC
Wolf-Dieter Fink [https://community.jboss.org/people/wdfink] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss 7.1.1 AS - where to install jdbc driver?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/731389#731389

See the datasource https://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-16657#Installing_a_JDBC_driver_as_a_module wiki.
How do you want to use the driver?
Open a connection without DS is not the meaning of an AppServer. The server will pool the connections for you ;)

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]
Jonathan Headland
2013-08-20 10:23:59 UTC
Jonathan Headland [https://community.jboss.org/people/jonathan.headland] created the discussion

"Re: JBoss 7.1.1 AS - where to install jdbc driver?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/833198#833198

If your application is making direct JDBC connections, then it will need the driver class within the WAR's WEB-INF/lib subdirectory.

As has been noted by Wolf-Dieter Fink, this is not an application-server-like way of going about things;  deployable applications are more modular if they use datasources provided by the execution environment, JBoss.  This standardizes administration of datasource connection details.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]