[jboss-user] [jBPM] - Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?
Thomas Setiabudi
2013-08-01 02:56:06 UTC
Thomas Setiabudi [https://community.jboss.org/people/thomas.setiabudi] created the discussion

"Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/830812#830812

Here's the order of the situation:
1. We have a process where there is a series of human task
2. The actor at the last human task make wrong input (e.g. he/she wants to reject but clicked on the approve button instead)
3. The process continue and it reaches the end node (termination end node)
4. But because the last actor was wrong, he/she wants to redo his/her last human task.

My question is How does this possible in jBPM? or if it is not possible, What should we do to handle situation like this?

We would like the Process Instance Log to keep the real end time of the process after the user redo the last step, that way we will have real information about how long the process takes to complete.
Any thought on this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas Setiabudi

*More Information:*

What we use:
JBPM5.4 Final

Sergey Kornilov
2013-08-01 07:43:06 UTC
Sergey Kornilov [https://community.jboss.org/people/kornilovs] created the discussion

"Re: Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/830881#830881

You can create new process and use data of  "bad process" pass it automatic until needed stage.

or you can create proces what allow change data, what was prepared in another process

Thomas Setiabudi
2013-08-01 08:03:27 UTC
Thomas Setiabudi [https://community.jboss.org/people/thomas.setiabudi] created the discussion

"Re: Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/830886#830886

Hi Sergey Kornilov,

Thank you for your reply, Yes we have thought of that too, create another process to compensate the human error in previous process.

But then there is a concern where the two process will become separate process, and by looking at the original process we do not know the real time it takes to complete the process.

Unless there is a way to make the new process related to the old process?

Regards,
Thomas Setiabudi

Sergey Kornilov
2013-08-01 15:12:34 UTC
Sergey Kornilov [https://community.jboss.org/people/kornilovs] created the discussion

"Re: Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/830975#830975

Re: But then there is a concern where the two process will become separate process, and by looking at the original process we do not know the real time it takes to complete the process.

you can add some parameters to new process when start it:

boolean isRestarted = true;
List<Integer> previousProcessDurationSecond = [1,2...];

or you can keep InstanceId of aborted process. By this you can get Information when need it.

Ashish T
2013-08-01 13:13:33 UTC
Ashish T [https://community.jboss.org/people/ashpcs] created the discussion

"Re: Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/830948#830948

Hi Thomas,

Your issue is is same as in any application irespective of process I guess.
I am currently only looking into Approve/Reject scenario as you might have other scenario as well.

1)Ask user to select Approve/Reject  status instead of button and then submit button.  This allows user to avoid  quick submit.
2) For addtional protection you can show the summery of data filled by user and then user finally submit.

Even after user is doing wrong selection then you cant avoid it.
Basically you want to awake the termnated/completed case again whcih I am not sure is a good idea.

Thomas Setiabudi
2013-08-02 01:20:57 UTC
Thomas Setiabudi [https://community.jboss.org/people/thomas.setiabudi] created the discussion

"Re: Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/831051#831051

Hi Ashish T,

Yes I agree this kind of error does happen even without using BPM / JBPM.

Before we use BPM / JBPM, we can provide a feature for user to undo the last action and do it again (well, because the application knows everything that needs to be undone).
But now since we use BPM / JBPM, how do this kind of thing should be handled technically?

Regards,
Thomas Setiabudi

Ashish T
2013-08-02 04:50:21 UTC
Ashish T [https://community.jboss.org/people/ashpcs] created the discussion

"Re: Process ends, but user wants to redo the last human task, What or How to do this?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/831065#831065

Hi Thomas,

Ok. got it.
In such case lets say one person P1 has performed the task and  process moves ahead.  Now next person P2 in line has also perfromed the task.  What happens in this case?  Now P1 can not do anything or in you previous application it was possible to still chnage the decision or data?
Or  you applicatio new from 30 steps these there are 10 steps which need to be undone and you had written specific logic for it?

Regards,
Ashsih