[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects.
James Drinkard
2013-03-28 19:48:50 UTC
James Drinkard [https://community.jboss.org/people/james_drinkard] created the discussion

"Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/805376#805376

Hello All,

We have an unusual setup for our eclipse deployments.  We are using eclipse indigo, java 1.5, jboss EAP 4.3 and ant scripts for our builds, but the .metadata folder is out on a server.  This was done so that everyone on the team can build using eclipse pointing to a workspace out on the server.  This keeps our projects settings generic, which is needed due to size of the app and needing to keep it stable.  Our lead dev put this generic version of eclipse out on the share so the other devs just copy it over to their machine and when they start it up all the settings are there for them.

The problem is I was having some issues with eclipse deployment version I had copied over and decided to delete the targeted runtimes from the projects.  I left the server properties alone, but just deleted the runtimes from the individual projects that build our application.  Now I can't add in the runtimes to the projects!  We are only using the jboss eap server for the runtimes with our deployment eclipse, so it's added in, but unbound.  We don't actually use the server to run the app from our deployment eclipse, only to get the runtimes in our build.

The other devs can still build with no problems and the runtimes show up fine for them, but I can't get the runtimes added as they don't display and the edit button is disabled.
What is odd is that the server tab shows files underneath for the other devs and they can doubleclick on the server and open up it's properties.  When I do that I get an unable to open editor error.

Also, the type and vendor is missing when I view the server properties, so some metadata of some kind got lost.  To add to all this, I'm concerned about just removing the server and trying to add it back in and messing up the configuration for everyone else.  When I did a search to add in the runtimes I got a message that there are no new runtimes and I couldn't add them in that way.

It appears that there are some localized settings that account for this, not in eclipse as I deleted it and started over twice, but with jBoss Tools that we have installed. My eclipse installation shows I have jBoss Tools installed, but somehow, removing the runtimes messed it up.  I don't see jBoss Central coming up anymore, the jBoss Central icon is missing from the Help drowpdown and on the toolbar.  I'm trying to reinstall it, but I'm getting all kinds of dependency errors in the process.
+
+
So I'm thinking there are some local settings that I need to change, but I can't find them?  Is it possible that there are localized settings specific to me that are out on there server?  Is there any other reason to account for this?  Any ideas as to how to solve this one?

PS I attached some screenshots.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Rob Stryker
2013-03-29 10:48:41 UTC
Rob Stryker [https://community.jboss.org/people/rob.stryker] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/805464#805464

Hi James:

The runtimes are stored in the following location:

${workspace}/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.wst.server.core.prefs

On my local installation, if I start an empty workspace and add a runtime, that file gets created. If I restart, that file is checked for its content. If I shutdown eclipse and remove that file, and then restart eclipse, the runtimes are not found.

I would guess your first step would be to verify that file exists wherever your .metadata folder is stored, and that it still has valid content. Other than that, I'm not sure whether or not this would be cached locally or not. It seems to me that its not. As far as I know, all such settings for plugins are stored in the .metadata location.

Good luck, and let me know if you find anything helpful.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
James Drinkard
2013-03-29 13:37:11 UTC
James Drinkard [https://community.jboss.org/people/james_drinkard] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/805499#805499

Hello Rob,

Thank you for the information!  I'm going to try and validate the information in the metadata file, based on a recovered version the day prior, if I can get it.  It appears to be correct and that eclipse is using that to find the settings.  I think that is why I still show a server name of jboss-eap under various properties in eclipse.

It almost seems that somewhere locally, eclipse has some setting that links to this file and that is broken now.  If the recovered version matches what I still have exactly, that sounds plausible as no one else on the team has had issues except me.  That would point to something I have locally that got changed and accounts the broken jBoss tools in my version of eclipse.  What stikes me as odd is I can delete eclipse and jBoss 4.3 totally from my machine, copy in a fresh version and still get the same problem.  That keeps me thinking it's a localized setting somewhere.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-04-02 11:57:14 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/805985#805985

James, you also mention JBoss Central and other things are not showing up anymore.

That plus the lack of an icon for EAP runtime indicates to me your workspace is probably ok, but you don't have the plugins
installed that can grok that workspace configuraiton.

What errors shows in the Error log ?

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
James Drinkard
2013-04-03 14:33:39 UTC
James Drinkard [https://community.jboss.org/people/james_drinkard] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/806227#806227

No errors as I haven't tried to do any builds for prod as yet.   If I do, I'm sure to not get the runtimes, which is why we had this eclipse setup this way.

We use STS (Spring Tool Suite) 2.9.2 for our development IDE and have a separate eclipse-indigo with a shared metadata folder for deployments on a seperate server.  Really it's a deployment repository where code for prod is stored as well as stage (like a pre-prod environment) and the metadata folder with the generic settings for everyone.  We use the runtimes as part of the build process, but we actually run the code locally to develop using STS.  Then we push it to stage and prod respectively.

Since the metadata is shared, I was concerned my changes had messed up the global settings for everyone as well, but that turned out to not be the case.  I'm the only one that has this problem.  So, I'm thinking that the settings that got messed up are with jBoss tools and all I have to do is update jBoss tools and that should fix my local workspace settings and solve the problem.  When  I went in and tried to do the update I got dependency errors and wasn't able to resolve them.  For now I'm having another dev do my builds, but that obviously isn't a long term solution.  I would like to know with our setup, would it be safe to uninstall jBoss tools and then reinstall it without messing up the metadata out on the server for everyone else?

What is really frustrating is we all use the same eclipse-indigo that was saved in a share by our lead dev.  I've deleted my local copy twice and deleted jBoss off my local machine, copy it over again and I still see these configuration problems!  Somewhere there is a setting, I assume for jBoss tools, that is causing this problem, but I haven't been able to find it.  We have an automatic backup program that keeps track of our desktop settings.  Some specific programs and all the user folder settings.  We are using windows 7 64 bit as the OS on our machines.  However, I deleted anything that mentioned jBoss or eclipse from my user folder that was backed up and it didn't make any difference.

I was able to get the admins to retore a copy of our metadata folder which I'm using to compare with our current metadata folder to see if anything has changed.  I don't think that is where the problems are though, but I'm guessing.

Any ideas as to what to do next would be appreciated!

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-04-03 21:34:07 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/806336#806336

Tell me what errors you get - i.e. what dependency errors are you seeing ?

And uninstalling/installing jboss tools should not touch your workspace metadata.

Note - workspace metadata are *not* shareable in eclipse in general; project metadata is but not workspace metadata.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
James Drinkard
2013-04-11 14:23:46 UTC
James Drinkard [https://community.jboss.org/people/james_drinkard] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/807763#807763

I've had to put this on hold for now, but I'll revisit it soon.

We are running windows 7, 64 bit for the OS on our developer machines and I did notice that jBoss put entries in the registry for the different servers that I've added to eclipse.

I assume that is jBossTools doing this, correct?

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-04-11 17:27:05 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/807833#807833

In Windows Registry ?

No, we are not touching that at all.

if you want to start from scratch just start eclipse with a new workspace and import your projects.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
James Drinkard
2013-04-12 17:39:55 UTC
James Drinkard [https://community.jboss.org/people/james_drinkard] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with jBossTools after deleting runtimes on projects."

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/808081#808081

Maybe eclipse does that then for the registry entries.  They were in there at any rate.

Yes, I normally don't have these restrictions on setting up a new workspace, but it's all specifically configured so that everyones local eclipse is the same for the deployments.  I'm not sure if I can start over from scratch, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]