[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo
Claudio Miranda
2013-05-21 20:24:24 UTC
Claudio Miranda [https://community.jboss.org/people/Claudio4J] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/818724#818724

Is it planned to support EAP 6.1 or jboss 7.2 in eclipse indigo 3.3.x ?

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-05-22 04:40:35 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/818747#818747

No, not at this time - its a new feature. New features goes into new versions.

JBoss Tools 4.0 and Developer Studio 6.0 supports EAP 6.1+, requiring at least Juno.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Claudio Miranda
2013-05-24 13:47:05 UTC
Claudio Miranda [https://community.jboss.org/people/Claudio4J] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/819392#819392

Hi Max, is there any way to "hack" jboss tools in eclipse 3.7 to make it work with EAP 6.1 ? Of course not a supported way.
I ask this because we use a commercial plugin that is not available to eclipse juno.

Copying system/layes/base to JB_HOME/modules works only to configure jboss, but will not work to start jboss.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-05-28 14:58:03 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/819913#819913

Unfortunately no :( - at least not one that I can think of, would require new release of JBoss Tools server adapter for Juno.

Which commercial plugin is forcing 2 year old eclipse ? I'm interested to see who does that and how many users it will/would affect.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Claudio Miranda
2013-05-28 15:18:28 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/819923#819923

Post by Max Rydahl Andersen
Which commercial plugin is forcing 2 year old eclipse ?
It is RTC (Rational Team Concert) from IBM, they are going to release a RTC support for eclipse juno, but that will need an whole upgrade (RTC server, licenses, etc.), that way is not easy to upgrade to a new RTC and eclipse platform easily.

Looks like we cannot use jboss tools in eclipse 3.7 right now, we will need to find a workaround.

Thanks

Claudio

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-05-30 21:44:16 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/820523#820523

Sad to hear IBM is requiring whole suite upgrades just to support Juno :(

About JBoss Tools, you can still use that in Eclipse 3.7 - the only problem (and I understand it is annoying problem) is the missing EAP 6.1 support.

The hack would need to make EAP 6.1 look like an EAP 6.0 .... i'll see if I can find a way :)

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-05-30 21:48:09 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/820525#820525

hmm...actually try this (sorry - dont have the setup to try it right now):

Point JBT on to an EAP 6.0 install, i.e. ~/servers/jboss-eap6
Download EAP 6.1 and put it in ~/servers/jboss-eap6.1
Let it install and set it up.

Now do this:

$ mv ~/servers/jboss-eap6 ~/servers/jboss-eap6.0

$ mv ~/servers/jboss-eap6.1 ~/servers/jboss-eap6

Now I *think* the adapter should at least start it.

We might need to tweak something in the launch configuration too but if this can get you pass the strict wizard
that would be good.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Claudio Miranda
2013-06-03 13:27:16 UTC
Claudio Miranda [https://community.jboss.org/people/Claudio4J] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/820998#820998

Hi Max, thanks for he tip, but it didn't work. Doing a clean build, the EAP 6 classes are not found.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-06-04 07:49:06 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/821174#821174

well those you will have to add manually (since they have moved so the old adapter can't find them).

You can setup that in preferences under Server/Runtime Environments/Default Classpath Entries - here you should be able to set the classpath setup for the server types.

This I'm aware limits you since it requires you to setup classpath entries for EAP 6.0 not just EAP 6.1 :(

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Claudio Miranda
2013-06-20 17:15:35 UTC
Claudio Miranda [https://community.jboss.org/people/Claudio4J] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824156#824156

I was just using eclipse juno with jboss tools and was sick by its  slowness, some icons just disappear from console window and some buggy  messages.

So I went and modified jboss tools 3.3 to make it work with EAP 6.1

Steps
* http://www.jboss.org/tools/download/stable/3_3_Final.html download source of jboss tools core 3.3 and unpack it somewhere
* download  and modify attached scripts to suit your environment (JAVA_HOME and  ECLIPSE), also uncomment the section to backup target jar files
* apply the modification as suggested in the diff file.
* invoke compile.sh

NOTE: This will make it work ONLY with EAP 6.1 that uses modules/system/layers/base, EAP 6.0 _will not work_.

Tested and verified on Linux and Windows.

For your convenience I attached the compiled code (classes_as_core.zip) to save you the time to download and compile. With this piece you only need to update the target jars, see compile.sh.

Hope this help those who find that eclipse juno is not working accordingly.

Claudio

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-06-21 14:10:03 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/824296#824296

Thanks Claudio - have you tried the Kepler version where speed is much better ?

IF you see slowness/buggy icons etc. please open bugs at https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE so we can react on them.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
henk de boer
2013-05-26 19:09:46 UTC
henk de boer [https://community.jboss.org/people/henk53] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/819549#819549

Daniel,
good for you.
But wouldn't it be great if you could share with us how exactly you did it? :)
Apparently, this is not trivial to do.
Well, it is absolutely trivial: install Eclipse 4.2 Java EE. Install JBoss Tools from Marketplace (you'll automatically get 4.0.1). Then from servers select JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 6.1 (Tech Preview), and in the new server dialog point it to the directory where you unzipped JBoss EAP 6.1.

It's a shame that 6.1 is only supported for Eclipse 4.2. Why does JBoss change so much between JBoss EAP versions that (appearently) such dramatic changes are needed to the WTP runtime?

Note that JBoss EAP 6.1 is also the default that you get at OpenShift. Everyone got automatically upgraded to it when it was released last week, so OpenShift users don't have a choice. They can't stay at 6.0.1.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]
Max Rydahl Andersen
2013-05-28 14:55:12 UTC
Max Rydahl Andersen [https://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: How to setup JBoss EAP 6 in Eclipse Indigo"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/819911#819911

henk,

the file layout changed between EAP 6.0 to 6.1 to handle layered AS/EAP installs (i.e. SOA-P on top of EAP)

Thats why it was required to make additional changes - note JBoss Tools (Juno) has basic support for EAP 6.1 too.

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2128]